High-density and versatile Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems, such as HUBMASTER’s stacker crane designed to increase storage density and accelerate operations across storage
Black Friday Madness Gets Smarter With L-A-C Logistics Automation
The UK-wide adoption of Black Friday and Cyber Monday in the run up to the already hectic Christmas period has put enormous added pressure on the logistics sector. Data from Collect+showed that last year there was an 81% leap in UK parcel traffic over the Black Friday weekend with almost 900,000 extra parcels processed compared to the previous year. With spending in 2023 showing that Black Friday itself generated upward of £1billion in the UK, this in turn creates an order fulfilment and delivery conundrum with such high order volumes being created. This seasonal upsurge on top of the ongoing rise in online shopping practices can significantly affect warehouse processes and their ability to fulfil order requirements in an efficient and accurate manner. With many warehouse operations still reliant on a manual workforce, catering for the peak periods comes with very real issues and can lead to businesses being overwhelmed and unable to cope with the sudden and often unpredictable increase in customer orders.
The solution, however, is within your grasp. L-A-C Logistics Automation has a wealth of experience designing and delivering intelligent automation systems that significantly enhance warehouse operations. L-A-C leverages innovative technology to manage inventory throughput and replenishment and enhance the overall warehouse fulfilment process. Such technology provides the opportunity to not only become super-efficient, but also to reduce reliance on people, leaving them free to be deployed in more value-added tasks across the business. Automation comes in many guises with L-A-C’s range of high-quality, UK manufactured conveyors and sortation systems offering effective solutions to manage fluctuating order volumes.
High-density and versatile Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems, such as HUBMASTER’s stacker crane designed to increase storage density and accelerate operations across storage, put-away and retrieval, provide the necessary agility to manage Black Friday and Christmas order challenges. Additionally, the advancement in Autonomous Mobile Robot (AMR) technology – such as the EXOTEC system, featuring Skypod® AMRs – provides a phenomenal opportunity to integrate a solution that delivers increased capacity and throughput, as well as the all-important reliability of service that is required to meet seasonal peaks.
The trend for robotics integration is also on an upward spiral, from robotic palletisers to robots designed for pick and place operations. L-A-C’s robotics solutions can be easily integrated with other automation technology such as AMRs and conveyor systems, to deliver a seamless flow of order fulfilment
The vast array of automation solutions now available may appear daunting, so when taking the first step it’s important to be guided by experts to ensure any system integration aligns with your objectives and provides the necessary launchpad in the quest for greater productivity. Engaging with automation experts L-A-C Logistic Automation will ensure you benefit from the most appropriate automation and systems based on your precise operational needs. As a leading systems integrator, L-A-C Logistics Automation offers a full turnkey service from design and manufacture through to testing and installation, with exceptional customer service and aftercare as standard.
Energy efficiency, reliability, accuracy, and enhanced throughput make for compelling reasons to invest in automation. Begin your journey today, contact the L-A-C Logistics Automation team and discover how integrating intelligent automation solutions will enable you to become more competitive, agile and fully prepared to overcome the peak season challenges that begin again in less than 12 months’ time.
Celebrating Excellence: Women in Transport & Logistics
The 2024 everywoman in Transport & Logistics Awards, launched to inspire more women to progress careers in the industry, are open for nominations until 29 January 2024. Now in their 17th year, these awards shine a spotlight on the varied and increasing avenues of opportunities available in the traditionally maledominated industry and celebrate the important role that women play within it. In doing so, the programme aims to help increase the number of women working within this pivotal industry, who only account for 21% of the industry’s 1.5million employees.
Despite the strides made, the transport and logistics industry continues to face challenges in attracting and retaining female talent. everywoman recognizes the critical importance of diversity in driving innovation, efficiency, and sustainability. Studies consistently demonstrate that diverse teams foster greater creativity, problem-solving abilities, and overall success within organizations.
Maxine Benson MBE, Co-Founder of everywoman, comments: “We believe in the power of diversity to fuel progress and innovation within the industry. The everywoman in Transport & Logistics Awards highlight the exceptional contributions of women in shaping the future of the sector. The transport and logistics industry contributed £214 billion to the UK economy in 2020. It is vital that we attract, retain, and advance women in the industry to unlock innovation and drive growth, not just for organisations but for the UK economy. The awards play a key role in shining a spotlight on some of the most exceptional women whose innovation, skills, resilience, and leadership will inspire future generations of women to fulfil their career ambitions in this vibrant and economy boosting industry.”
The industry’s main priorities revolve around continued advancement and deployment of technology, such as AI, and the focus on Net Zero, which will see the decarbonisation of all sectors within the UK economy to reach the net zero target by 2050. Net Zero is a huge undertaking by the Transport and Logistics industry and it is for this reason that the Sustainability Champion Award was added in 2023, recognising the importance of environmental protection and the exemplary contribution women have made in transforming the sector.
The 2024 Awards categories are:
- THE CUSTOMER / PASSENGER AWARD – awarded to two women whose commitment to the highest standards of customer or passenger service led to outstanding business results
- THE FREIGHT AWARD – sponsored by WCA World – awarded to two women exemplifying the excellence, drive, and innovation of women across the freight subsector
- THE INFRASTRUCTURE AWARD – awarded to two women who are demonstrating outstanding achievements within infrastructure
- THE SUPPLY CHAIN AWARD – sponsored by Unipart Rail – awarded to two women who show exceptional talent and drive within the supply chain system
- THE WAREHOUSING AWARD – sponsored by FedEx – awarded to two women excelling in their role within a warehousing environment
- INDUSTRY CHAMPION AWARD – sponsored by ASDA – awarded to a female pioneer whose longstanding and continuous support of women in transport and logistics has led to impactful and measurable change
- INTERNATIONAL INSPIRATION AWARD – sponsored by Maersk – awarded to an exceptional role model working outside of the UK & Ireland who inspires women and men in their community
- APPRENTICE OF THE YEAR AWARD – sponsored by UKWA – awarded to an enterprising female apprentice who is making an exceptional contribution to their organisation in their early career
- MALE AGENT OF CHANGE AWARD – awarded to a male role model who is actively committed to encouraging, advancing, sponsoring, or championing the progress of women in transport and logistics in his organisation and beyond
- THE TECH INNOVATOR AWARD – awarded to a woman designing, developing, researching, implementing or being exceptionally creative with technology within the industry
- SUSTAINABILITY CHAMPION AWARD – awarded to a woman or female-led team making an exemplary contribution to sustainability and environmental protection within a transport or logistics company
There will be two winners per category (Leader and Above & Beyond) as well as one recipient of the Tech Innovator, International Inspiration, Industry Champion, Male Agent of Change, Apprentice of the Year, Sustainability Champion, and Woman of the Year Award. The awards are free to enter and the ceremony will welcome 500 industry leaders. The ceremony will take place on 27 June 2024 at Park Plaza Riverbank in London. To find out more about the everywoman in Transport & Logistics Awards or to book your place at the 2024 awards ceremony, visit www.everywoman.com/everywomanin-transport-and-logistics-awards.